Friday, 16 April 2010

The cove a must see documentary

I saw this on DVD last night and I would say this is a must see documentary film. To give you a small details of what it is: the cove is an American documentary film that describes the annual killing of dolphins in a National Park at Taiji, Wakayama, in Japan from an anti–dolphin-hunting campaigner's point of view. The film was released in 2009, highlights that the number of dolphins killed in the Taiji dolphin hunting drive is several times greater than the number of whales killed in the Antarctic, and claims that 23,000 dolphins and porpoises are killed in Japan every year in the country's whaling industry. The migrating dolphins are herded into a hidden cove where they are netted and killed by means of spears and knives over the side of small fishing boats.



The film is actually very good and it is up to the people what they would like to think about it, but in my opinion this is very educational. I love these creatures and I used to pay just to watch them perform, but after seeing this, I don’t think I will do it again as I now know that this also leads to dolphin extinction. You see these fisherman’s will capture so many dolphins and then select a few that can be trained, then sold these dolphins to an amusement parks for $150 each. But then the rest of the dolphins will be slaughtered and then sold to markets as whale meat or dolphin meat. However majority of the people in Japan does not know about this, so do not blame and generalize Japanese people. These dolphin killings are not only happening in Japan, there have been reports that this is still going on in some countries. I think this film is an eye opener for everyone so I would encourage you to watch this as this will serve as a campaign to help spread the word to stop Dolphin killings.


No comments: