Friday, 2 April 2010

Good Friday celebration

Each year we Christians celebrate Good Friday, also known as Holy Friday, Black Friday, or Great Friday. I am not a very religious person but I came from a catholic family and I always remember how my family celebrate this day. Usually my family way back in Philippines would fast, meaning they eat smaller than the regular meal and it is usually porridge. At 3 o’clock in the afternoon, which we Christians believe the hour that Jesus died in the cross, my whole family usually gather for a rosary prayer. I can still remember that I used to go out and watch a procession outside our house during this time, and it brings back good memories. Anyway, like most of the countries, here in the UK they also celebrate Good Friday and they have this traditional pastry called hot cross buns. It is a pastry that has a cross sign on the top that symbolizes and reminds Christians of the cross that Jesus was killed on. Here it is tradition that they serve these tasty buns at breakfast time and they eat fish instead of meat during this holy day. Anyway, it does not matter how you and me celebrate Good Friday in different ways because as a Christian we all do celebrate it for one reason, and that is to commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

No comments: