Monday, 28 February 2011

5 a day for a healthy balance diet

It all started with the World Health Organization, which recommends eating a minimum of 400g of fruit and vegetables a day to lower the risk of serious health problems, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and obesity. Now this has been promoted by the NHS here in the UK to eat at least 5 a day of fruits and vegetables as part of a healthy balance diet. It doesn't mean that you have to get all fresh fruits and vegetables in fact I usually get frozen vegetables and canned fruits to complete me and my family’s 5 a day goal. Of course I do buy fresh ones too, the usual banana, tomatoes and oranges. However sometimes this would not be all eaten so at the end of the week some would go in the food recycling waste. So what I do is buy a little of the fresh ones and store a lot of the canned fruits and frozen vegetables.

This is what I usually get:

Sealed and frozen just like that one in the picture is sold in the supermarkets. Compose of baby carrots, peas, green beans, and sweet corn but contents may sometimes vary depending on brands.








And a tinned or canned fruits just like the one in the picture is what I usually get as part of me and my family’s 5 a day but I only get the one in natural juice or water, with no added sugar. I think this is very economical as you can just open what you want to eat and can store the rest of the frozen or canned fruits and vegetables for many months.

No comments: