Friday, 18 February 2011

Do spring flowers needs re-planting

I have read so many posts about spring flowers and most of them say you have to dig it up once it dies and replant it again in the fall. But I have some spring flowers on my garden and I never dig them out. My daffodils and tulips have been planted on my garden for a couple of years now and never fail to grow back every spring time. As they say “good drainage and plenty of sunshine is key of growing spring flowers”. So, does spring flowers needs re-planting? My answer is no, if it grows there nicely once, then do not bother to dig it out.

Here some tips of how to plant:

• Bulbs are some of the easiest garden plants to grow, needing only a well-drained soil and some sunshine. As a general rule, plant bulbs two to three times their own depth and around two bulb widths apart.
• It's important to plant bulbs with its top facing upwards. If unsure, plant the bulb on its side.
• Replace the soil after planting, breaking down any large clumps and firm in gently, making sure there are no air spaces around the bulbs.
• And the best time to plant bulbs are from October to December, before the first frost.

No comments: