Monday, 28 March 2011

Roasting chicken using an oven

I am already 33 years old and this is the first chicken I roasted. Yes, my first but I am glad to say it tasted good!

Here is how I roast the chicken using an oven:

• From chilled. Preheat fan assisted oven to 180°C/375°F/Gas Mark 6.
• Remove all packaging. Pull out legs to open cavity, remove at the knuckle and rub oil sparingly into the skin and inside cavity and season both inside and out with salt & pepper.
• Place in a roasting dish and cook for 40 minutes per kg plus an additional 20 minutes. Baste occasionally during cooking.
• To ensure the chicken (Leg and Breast) is cooked insert a skewer into the thickest part of the meat. If the juices run clear, not pink, it is fully cooked through. Remove from the oven, place on a serving plate and rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before carving. This will let the chicken relax and the juices settle to enhance the eating quality.

No comments: