I got this off from a leaflet from Yorkshire water and I think this is a good way of letting people know how to avoid frozen or bust pipes. I find this information very useful so I am relaying this on my blog, but if you require more information about this, you can visit the Yorkshire water website.
5 simple ways to fight the frost
Before the cold snap:
1. Wrap up warm- make your pipe work, cisterns, tanks and water meters in unheated areas feel the benefit by wrapping them in a waterproof foam lagging or insulation.
2. Get to know your stop top – if you do suffer from bust pip, you need to know where to turn your water off. Your stop tap is usually located under the kitchen sink. Keep a plumber’s number handy too.
During a cold snap:
3. Keep your home heated- set your central heating to at least a constant low temperature, particularly overnight or when your out.
After a cold snap:
4. Frozen up? If you think your pipes are frozen, try defrosting them gently with a hairdryer or fan heater and never use a naked flame.
5. No water? If your neighbours are fine it could be a problem with your private pipes. You may check your water supplier website for some advice and check you can make.